Can I Really Get a Rug for My Garden Patio?
There are a lot of different ways to spruce up an outdoor space, from adding garden furniture to planting an array of flowers, but there is no denying the popularity of garden rugs and mats. Though a lot of people initially associate rugs and carpets with indoor decor, they are also very popular in outdoor spaces. Not only are they good for aesthetic purposes, but garden rugs are extremely functional too. They provide a safe and even floor space, whilst covering up any unsightly marks on the floor itself.
Using Rugs Outside FAQs
You only have to spend a minute or two looking at rugs for gardens, before you will see how much of a difference they make. When you add an outdoor rug or mat to an outside space, the area is instantly transformed into a stylish and functional space. However, knowing the ‘ins and outs’ of using rugs outside can help you to get the most out of your purchase.
- Where Can You Put a Garden Rug? – You can put garden rugs on patios, decking and concrete. There is no right or wrong place to put an outdoor rug, it’s really down to where the rug will function best. Think about where you will get the most use out of the rug, where it fits and where it looks best.
- Do Rugs on Concrete Cause Damage? – No, placing outdoor rugs on concrete will not cause any damage. However, you do need to be aware of any moisture that might build up over time. If moisture becomes trapped under a garden rug and is unable to dry, it could cause the concrete to darken in colour.
- Why Do People Add Rugs for Patios to Their Garden? – There are a number of benefits that come with adding a rug to a garden, which is why so many people buy rugs for patios. Not only does a garden rug add colour and design to an outdoor space, but it’s also a way to protect patios and decks from weathering.
- Which Garden Rugs are Best for Wooden Decking? – There is no shortage of outdoor rugs to choose from, but some are better for wooden decking than others. Polypropylene rugs, olefin rugs and recycled plastic rugs are all good choices. Natural fibre rugs on wood is a less than ideal combination, as they are better suited to indoor spaces away from rain and humidity.
- Are Garden Rugs Easy to Maintain? – Yes, it’s very easy to maintain a garden rug or outdoor carpet. For the most part, sweeping is all you need to do to keep a garden rug looking new. Occasionally, wash the rug with soap and water to remove any dirt.
- What’s the Best Material for Outdoor Rugs and Mats? – There are a lot of different materials that can be used to make outdoor rugs and mats, but polypropylene is one of the best. This is because it’s durable, easy to clean and moisture resistant. It’s also stain resistant, which is ideal if it’s being used by children or pets.
How to Look After Garden Rugs
Once you have purchased a garden rug or outdoor carpet, it’s time to think about how you will keep it looking its best for as long as possible. Though garden rugs are designed to come into contact with some dirt and debris, a little bit of maintenance can make a big difference to how clean and stylish your garden looks as a whole. Luckily, outdoor rugs are easy to clean and they require very little upkeep. By following the advice below, you can keep your outdoor carpet or garden rug looking brand new.
- Once a month, take a moment to remove any dirt or debris that has built up on the rug. This could be mud, grass, leaves or dust. The easiest way to do this is to vacuum or sweep the rug, and it’s a relatively quick task.
- If you have a water resistant rug, you can clean the rug by hosing it down with water. When you do this, make sure to hang the rug up to dry in the sun afterwards. Otherwise, the water could remain on the rug and cause mould to grow.
- When you are cleaning your garden rug or outdoor carpet, avoid using harsh chemicals. These could damage the rug and cause the colour to fade, resulting in the rug looking old and worn before its time.
- If you are not going to be using the rug for a while, roll it up and store it somewhere safe inside. It’s unlikely that you will be using the rug during the winter months, and storing it away will ensure it’s protected from harsh weather.
A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that garden rugs are hard to come by and hard to look after, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. As long as you dedicate a little bit of time to keeping outdoor carpet clean, it’s a fantastic way of adding some colour and style to your outside space.